Bonjour Street Style
As a fashion business we are regularly inspired by other countries style and one of the most influential forms of style is street style.. Unlike catwalks and magazines which often showcase unrealistic and unwearable fashion, street style is inspiration that is wearable and achievable worn by real, day to day people.
But don't be too fooled- some of these 'real' women whom we ogle and admire with their elegance and style more than likely have a closet the size of a house and hours to get ready as they manage to look so flawless. But it certainly seems more attainable than magazine images featuring women wearing sheer ballgowns walking camels... I don't know about you but I just can't seem to relate...
At Smitten, we are fans of classic and easy to wear looks. We felt the French are certainly a standout in the street style stakes for their effortless style and classic combinations... with many a fashionista studying their style in the hope of recreating the ever elegant chic Parisian.
So after some serious pinterest research (sadly my idea to travel to Paris and partake in some hardcore investigative Parisian street style journalism whilst sipping lattes by the River Seine was knocked back) we compiled a list of the most common French street style looks including colours, trends and accessories.
- They like black... A LOT. Much like style icons Audrey Hepburn and Coco Chanel who donned all black attire regularly.
- But sometimes they really break out and wear black and white stripes
- On the subject of stripes they are almost a chic Parisian women's uniform. Be it a scarf, shirt, dress or pants, stripes are BIG TIME.
- Designs are classic and streamlined allowing the wearer to make it their own.
- Accessories well and tailor accordingly. Don't be scared of buying the PERFECT size. Often ladies go a size up but you then lose the definition of the garment. Sunglasses are one of the most underestimated accessories that can transform any look!
- The only colours you will see apart from black, white and grey are BLUE and RED. They sure are patriotic ;)
OOH LALA... As you probably noticed we added a link to the Smitten equivalent underneath each image but we have put together a collection of images from the Smitten Merino range featuring our French street style inspiration...
Don't worry... our French fun doesn't stop here but unfortunately this blog does.
But stay tuned... we decided to bring chic Parisian street style right here to the streets of Hobart- now you don't need to travel either meaning you can most certainly afford a sneaky little smitten item to transform yourself into an elegant Parisian. So our next blog is a behind the scenes feature of our 'french inspired photoshoot and we can't wait to share the the 'excitement' of our family business escapades with you ;)
Au Revoir xxx